Sunday, 20 January 2013

Box makeover and Saturday night chill out xx

My mind has been on a crafting journey this week. I have been scouring pages in books, the internet and magazines for inspiration and to see what gets my creative juices flowing and always come back to a similar thing...

MIXED MEDIA
 
Be it as canvas, art journal, fabric! I just get so excited about using different mediums to create images with. I seem to be stuck on old book pages over painted and stitched, the effect is just truly artistic and it mesmerises me to see how many different layers there are within one image.
 
In the spirit of making 2013 my year of regaining my artistic side, I bought a cheap 'day per page' diary, and I have been doodling/writing anything I think or come across in the day on that page. I am amazed at how much creative stuff I actually do think of, which must mean that I haven't lost it all as I thought, I have just simply been ignoring the thoughts.
 
And with this flow of crafting and mixed media, I have been looking for some storage boxes to keep decoupage cut outs from magazines etc. in but have not settled on anything I like or that really suits the d├ęcor/style of our home. So I thought that I would have a go at a makeover of some old ones that were in the garage.
 
What do you think so far? 
 
 
I have only done the fronts as I want to make sure I like the effect before I do all 4 of them. I covered the boxes with torn pages out of one of my favourite books (Mister Johnson by Joyce Cary) Don't worry I have purchased it since for my Kindle so I am not lost without it. I then stuck on a stripe of William Morris calendar pages that I had left over from my Ikea Moppe drawers makeover and then I have painted on the 'label holder' with some Acrylic paint.
 
As you can see the bottom one has just been stuck together, as I am not sure if I really like the idea yet. I think they will look really effective all done and stacked on top of each other in a darkened cubby hole in the dining room. I am hoping that they come across as old and worn, like they should be covered in cobwebs and make you wonder what whimsical/magical things they might contain.
 
Talking of my Moppe Makeover, I thought I would show you another set that I have re-located to the bookcase in the living room
 
 
As you can see I have finally screwed all the handles to the drawers and written tiny little labels for each one.
 
 
Again it is one of many little spaces in the house that is coming together as we continue on the big de-clutter and YES! it does make my heart skip every time I notice this little shelf as it reminds me of what the final outcome is going to be once I have finally finished.
 
With all this snow we decided to cosy ourselves down on Saturday night on front of the roaring fire, watching Star-Gazing live (pre-recorded) with a bit of a naughty picnic...
 
 
Pizza, southern fried chicken strips, onion rings, crisps, coleslaw, pickled onions, Malteasers and peanut M&M's, and a bottle of Coca-Cola.
 
It was a fabulous, chilled out evening and did my soul some good. Just me & my hubby and some damn good TV and conversation. It also made us decide to install a window in the attic when it's converted so we can have a telescope, so we can stargaze.
 
I hope you have all hunkered down during this snowy weather and are keeping well and looking after those you love and please don't forget fresh water and food for the birds.
 
Winter Blessings,
Rebecca 

7 comments:

  1. Truly beautiful works of art....
    I think they are amazing and I wish I was so talented...
    Love Jane xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Rebecca- I think they look lovely and I have sets of these drawer things I could also decorate, you have inspired me!!!!
    My prayers are with you re your awaiting results in your family. Thank you for your kind thoughts, it is lovely to know you care. If I can be of any help, do let me know xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little wooden drawers you've covered, and I like the sound of a naughty picnic! sounds like the perfect Saturday night xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice that you are looking for your creativity this year. Your snack does indeed look naughty, but really I can't talk at the moment either! have a good week, Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the boxes, and the effect of the painted label holder is so realistic!
    Your Moppe drawers are lovely, the teeny labels are adorable. Keep up the crafting, you're obviously on a roll! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boxes look lovely! I'm hankering for maltesers now... x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog! It's so cozy and inspiring in here. I also love the little boxes. The idea of tags hanging look so cute too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing my computer 'Chirp' when someone has left me their comments, so please feel free to leave me your thoughts and I always endeavour to respond when needed and sometimes because I just want to :)

Seasonal Blessings,
Rebecca